Legal-name: Los Angeles Maritime Institute
Previous-name: Children’s Maritime Institute (Long Beach Division)
Address: Berth 73, Suite 2
City: San Pedro
Officer: Bruce Heyman, Executive Director
ContactName: Bruce Heyman
Title: Executive Director
Tel-952: (310) 833-6055
SecondaryPhone: (949) 289-8400
GrantPurpose: Over a week ago LAMI/CMI slashed our payroll 43% and put on hold much of our accounts payable with hopes that grans like this will allow us to survive COVID-19.
Periodoftime: April, May, June
Audienceserved: We serve economically and educationally disadvantaged and other youth through experiential at sea education programs.
Demoofaudience: Over 90% of the students we serve attend Title 1 schools. 92% of our students are Hispanic.
Numberofserved: We normally serve over 7,000 students per year and March – June are our busiest months.
District: we serve students from all districts and our vessel, American Pride, is based in the 2nd District.
1. What disaster recovery service have already been provided? : As of March 25, 2020 we’ve received no disaster recovery services.
2. What disaster recovery service will be provided by this grant? : This grant will allow us to continue to have our live-aboard crew stay aboard the vessel and be “Safer at Home”. The crew are continuing to maintain the vessel so that as soon as schools reopen we can restart our programs with no further loss of down time. They will also continue to produce Videos that are STEM and NGSS conforming to aid parents and teacher with student learning at home.
3. What organization and or individuals will you assist? : This grant will aid the 17 remaining (there were 25) employees of LAMI/CMI. In specific there are five live aboard Crew in Long Beach which will benefit from this grant. This will allow them to serve the local schools now through continued production of video teaching aids and with experiential sails once the schools reopen.
4. What other disaster recovery funds have you received? What amount?: As of March 25, 2020 we’ve received no funds from any governmental agency. We have received approximately $2,500 from small donations.
5. What other disaster recovery funds have you applied for?: As of March 25, 2020 we’ve applied for EDD’s Work Sharing Program and for a Small Business Administrative Loan.
Please note we have two URL’s but I was only able to include one above. The Long Beach relevant URL is: https://www.americanpridecmi.org/