Address: 4729 Albury Ave
Officer: Jennifer Nolan, President
ContactName: Jennifer Nolan
GrantPurpose: Providing Food & Critical Supplies to Home-Bound Individuals Affected by Covid-19 in the Long Beach/Lakewood Area
Periodoftime: 4 months
Audienceserved: Food insecure families/individuals, single parents with children, homebound elderly, disabled, unemployed individuals affected by the Covid-19 pandemic in the Long Beach/Lakewood area
Demoofaudience: All ages, races and religious backgrounds will be considered eligible if meeting criteria for audience served – nobody will be refused based on race, ethnicity or religious background
District: District 8
Q1. What disaster recovery service have already been provided? : We have already provided:
1) Food & critical supply deliveries to 18 individuals who are elderly and those who are home-bound due to Covid-19 exposure/quarantine (toilet paper, food, etc.)
2) We have also provided ongoing daily calls and check-ins to these individuals to assist in their mental health and connectivity to the community at large to reduce anxiety and loneliness
3) We have been actively identifying needs in seniors and families where grandparents are raising their children and having a very difficult time providing for their needs
Q2. What disaster recovery service will be provided by this grant? : We will expand the number of individuals and families assisted with short-term relief using this grant. Adequate funds to provide these families and individuals with food and critical needs support will help them immeasurably while they are home-bound and/or unable to afford food and critical needs due to a sudden financial hardship imposed by the Covid-19 pandemic. We will also identify members of our community who have lost income and agree to assist with shopping and deliveries for this project, thus, also employing people in need and helping them with work and income. We will also recruit volunteer delivery drivers to drive cost down and assist us in reaching the maximum number of individuals. To maximize impact, we plan to use these funds exclusively to get food and necessities to the community. We will provide, in-kind, the remaining costs. Volunteers will be used as available/appropriate to increase our impact without impacting cost.
3. What organization and or individuals will you assist? : We have identified a number of individuals including the following examples:
1) a North Long Beach widowed single mother who is raising 2 children and living in a garage, 2) a family of 5 in North Long Beach who are trying to survive suddenly on one lessened income,
3) a 72-year old elderly Long Beach lady who lives alone and can not leave for groceries and has lost her sole source of income,
4) an elderly couple of 2 in Lakewood who are house-bound due to health conditions,
5) an elderly widow of 71 in Long Beach who is unable to leave her home due to Covid-19,
6) a family of 3 elderly members in Lakewood who are experiencing financial struggles due to a recent surgery and the sudden loss of one income,
7) His Nesting Place – a North Long Beach facility that takes in homeless, pregnant women and assists them with housing, food and counseling, which is currently experiencing financial hardship due to Covid-19. We will assist with critical supplies to help support their program,
8) Pathways Volunteer Hospice, which works with local families and individuals suffering with illness and loss, to identify additional needs in the community that they are struggling to fill,
9) A 35-year old male, who is socially isolating due to Covid-19 exposure and has lost his employment due to Covid-19,
10) A family of 6 in North Long Beach who do not qualify for assistance and living in extreme poverty in a small 2-room apartment,
11) We have an active list of approximately 15 other situations similar to the above, where we are ready and willing to step in with assistance.
4. What other disaster recovery funds have you received? What amount?: We have not received any other disaster recovery funds yet. This is our first application for disaster recovery funds.
5. What other disaster recovery funds have you applied for?: This is our first application for disaster recovery funds.