Legal-name: The Salvation Army Long Beach Community Center
Address: 3060 Long Beach Blvd.
City: Long Beach
Officer: Captain Sergio Garcia, Commanding Officer
Annual: $1.3 million
ContactName: Melinda Lankford
Title: Community Programs Director
GrantPurpose: We respectfully request funding to purchase food and other items for our Food Pantry to meet the higher demand of low-income families, seniors, homeless, and those experiencing food insecurity due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Periodoftime: March 16 – May 15, 2020
Audienceserved: Low-income families and individuals, homeless, Veterans, elderly, those experiencing food insecurity, and those with compromised immune systems due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Demoofaudience: All ages, all ethnicities, low-income/no-income, and all those with food insecurity.
Numberofserved: 1,000 persons/week
District: District 8
1. What disaster recovery service have already been provided?: We have been providing food boxes (includes meats, cheese, milk, eggs, fruits, vegetables, bread, and nonperishables as available) for families and food bags for homeless individuals. We also have been delivering food boxes to seniors and those who are quarantined because of compromised immune systems. We have been issuing referrals to The Salvation Army’s Bell Shelter and other local shelters. Additionally, we have been providing toiletry/hygiene kits, cleaning supplies, baby food, formula, diapers, water, pet food, and TAP cards as available.
2. What disaster recovery service will be provided by this grant? A multiplication of that listed above, because of the higher demand during COVID-19, including an increase in food and other items being delivered.
3. What organization and or individuals will you assist?: MHALA, Aspiranet, VA, government senior housing (Carmelitos and others), Villages at Cabrillo, all low-income, homeless, and food insecure at this time. We have also spread the word to local schools, on social media, and other community partners.
4. What other disaster recovery funds have you received? What amount?: We have received a $10,000 grant from The Salvation Army emergency disaster account held at Headquarters; $1,000 donation from Signal Hill Petroleum; we have requested from individual/corporate donors and hope to receive another $5,000-$10,000 in funding.
5. What other disaster recovery funds have you applied for?: None.