Coronavirus Relief Grant
Checkbox-571: #1, #5, #7
Legal-name: EarthLodge Center for Transformation
Address: 235 E. Broadway, Ste. 800
City: Long Beach
Officer-title: Executive Director
Contacttitle: Board Member
SecondaryPhone: 562 513 0886
GrantPurpose: The purpose of this grant to provide urgent COVID-19 Relief services to constituents impacted by the pandemic.
TotalCost: $10, 000
Periodoftime: 3 months
Audienceserved: Our participants served are low income, uninsured, unemployed food insecure, children and elderly. They are predominately women and LGBTQ living in Long Beach and the South Bay area. Most are renters, parents and grandparents.
Demoofaudience: Long Beach
Numberofserved: 350- 400
District: District 6
1. What disaster recovery service have already been provided?: So far our organization has provided over 60 meals per month from our Warm Food Wednesdays for the food insecure since March; we are providing temporary housing or (respite) for two community members who are unemployed and in transition; the Earthlodge has conducted two healing forums to address grief and loss during the pandemic; parents of our community asked for child care and we created a curriculum for 6-10 year olds throughout the week, children are taught math, reading, life skills, yoga, meditation, science, ecology and fed meals; we have worked closely with BLM Long Beach to provide spiritual and healing services to it’s members at meetings; we were asked to build several altars in remembrance of those who passed away and lead spiritual ceremony on their behalf. We have conducted a community-wide holisitic healing ceremony at the beach before the recent spike in COVID. We prepared and shipped spiritual toolkits for those in need of mental balancing which include bottles of spritzes containing herbal aromatherapies that come from our apothecary like lavendar, eucalyptus etc. Also provided one-to-one urgent counseling to individuals on demand.
2. What additional services, above your standard operations, will be conducted with this grant funding?: There is a constant demand for us to further organize and develop our healing network. We have been organizing those persons who specialize in alternative modalities as a resource for the community and are planning two community virtual town halls that will be advertised; one that features virtual grief circles that each practitioner will address using their own expertise where members will be in workshops to work on new methods of sorrow; the Earthlodge will also lead a town hall on COVID-19 which will focus on dispelling misinformation and addressing children’s return to school (we have a physician and public health advocate who’ve signed on to present) where people will be able to ask pertinent questions, we will be partnering with other nonprofits, in particular Black Women for Wellness and local organizations that provide re-entry services to provide healing workshops and toolkits; we are expanding our Warm Food Wednesdays to include to drop off food to more individuals who are out of work or food insecure; the Earthlodge is also conducting rapid response to individual and communities that are undergoing trauma coupled with COVID – 19 particularly those that are physically and socially isolated (elderly), suicidal or anxiety-ridden.
3. What individuals (and/or organizations) will you assist? : Those that will be assisted by our services are children, parents, disabled, elderly, unemployed, transgender, lgbt, displaced and essential workers. Most of our community members fall within the low income category. Many of those individuals are Earthlodge members, but
4. What other disaster recovery funds have you received? What amount?: None
5. What other disaster recovery funds have you applied for?: LA Regional COVID Recovery