Legal-name: Long Beach Gray Panthers
Address: 1150 East 4th Street
City: Long Beach
Officer: Myron Wollin, President
ContactName: Karen Reside
GrantPurpose: To provide grocery gift cards to pay for orders to be delivered to low-income seniors
Periodoftime: April, May, June
Audienceserved: Gift cards will go to pay for groceries for low-income seniors in 30 HUD Senior Buildings.
Demoofaudience: Ages 62 and over. All participants will be at 150% of federal poverty level or less. They will go to the lowest income seniors in each of these buildings.
District: All districts except 3, and 4.
1. What disaster recovery service have already been provided? : We are working with the City to distribute information on doorhangers that will go to all of the senior buildings. Doorhangers contain emergency information. Information will also be placed on our website. We are also participating in Zoom weekly meetings with the health department on senior needs, and working with CSULB students to help deliver materials and information. We are also receiving about 10-15 calls a day for referrals to resources and have paid for senior food from member donations. We have also been working with the 4th Street Senior Center to determine senior needs and referrals.
2. What disaster recovery service will be provided by this grant? : Ensuring that seniors have food to carry them over the gap between the end of the month and when they receive their social security deposits. Since many nonprofits are not operating, seniors have been hard hit with food availability.
3. What individuals (and/or organizations) will you assist? : We will assist the 10 lowest income seniors in each of the senior buildings that have limited resources. We had started meeting and working with the senior buildings on Census work for which we have some matching funds.
4. What other disaster recovery funds have you received? What amount?: We have received no other disaster recovery funds at this time.
5. What other disaster recovery funds have you applied for?: We are not eligible to apply for other disaster funds at this time. The money from this grant would all go to the lowest income seniors in our community.