Legal-name: Shared Science
Address: 5318 E 2nd Street #602
City: Long Beach
Organizational-status: 501c3 nonprofit, STEM education
Officer: Michelle Wells, Board President and Co-Founder
ContactName: Michelle Wells
Title: Board President and Co-Founder
GrantPurpose: Today we asking for some basic relief against some of our overhead expenses and conversion to remote program delivery for the next few months.
Periodoftime: April-July 2020
Audienceserved: Children and Youth /Students K-12
Demoofaudience: LBUSD K-12 students across the City
District: Districts 1-9; students across all districts in the City
1. What disaster recovery service have already been provided? : Participant families in our latest program sessions were notified of our efforts to keep students safe, and when schools closed, were issued refunds for unmet session days. We are sending email, and posting STEM Ed opportunities to try at home on social media. We are in the process of calling families to find out how they are adjusting to the Learning at Home process the school district has put into place and to find out about their challenges in getting that together, and how we might best support both parents and students over the next few months and into summer. We’re asking them to participate in an online survey. From the data we gather, we can better adjust our content delivery, determine how best to connect, and what tools we might need to physically provide for students to have a successful engagement.
2. What disaster recovery service will be provided by this grant? : Changing our delivery model — We’ve built our entire program delivery to go where students are: school sites, community sites… Now our delivery must shift short notice to be virtual for an uncertain period of time, requiring significant investment, in order to reach students as we practice social distancing. We’re intent on reaching out to students, helping them leap technical obstacles to continue engaging in STEM education in a meaningful way. It is our intent with this funding, to gain some relief against our overhead expenses with no current revenue stream, as we work on shifting our outreach efforts to a virtual connection.
3. What individuals (and/or organizations) will you assist? : We will first re-engage the participants from our most recent sessions at Longfellow, Gant, Los Cerritos, Newcomb, MacArthur, Lowell, Cleveland, Kettering, as well as from our robotics clubs at Mann, Lafayette, King, Smith, Chavez, Whittier, Muir, and Robinson. From there, we will reach out further to other area student targets like Boys and Girls Club.
4. What other disaster recovery funds have you received? What amount?: We have received no recovery funds to date.
5. What other disaster recovery funds have you applied for?: We are in the process of applying for PPP funds through our bank, and we have submitted other grant requests whose processing dates are not likely to allow for immediate relief.