Checkbox-571: #1, #3, #4
Legal-name: The WIN Project
Address: 1900 Ocean Blvd #809
City: Long Beach
State: California (CA)
Organizational-status: 501 (c) 3
Officer-title: Executive Director
Contacttitle: Development Director
GrantPurpose: Emergency rent and utilities for at-risk homelessness impacted by Covid-19
Periodoftime: 3 months (First fiscal quarter after funding)
Audienceserved: low income, homeless
Demoofaudience: Under 80% AMI (Most being under 50% AMI)
1. What disaster recovery service have already been provided? : Very little has been provided that would impact this demographic. The WIN Project has 4 apartments housing at-risk of homelessness families. We have created rental agreements to waive or defer payment for our clients that cannot make rent or utility payments or cannot pay their portion over the Section 8 limits. Nationally, the CARES Act gave a one-time $1,200 stipend per adult individual. Unfortunately, to receive this money in a timely fashion, the individual needed to be a taxpayer in 2018 or 2019 and have direct deposit. If not, a physical check would be mailed but our demographic often is transient and does not have a permanent mailing address. Since there are not rental freezes at this time, the at-risk population will become homeless before the end of the pandemic. Likewise, the transient homeless individual that has found temporary shelter will lose it.
2. What additional services, above your standard operations, will be conducted with this grant funding?: The funds from this grant will be used to pay all or a portion of rent and utilities such that the individual will not become homeless now or be burdened with debt, which will make them homeless later. The staffing funds will be used to help with some critical case management to assist the individual to rapidly receive their CARES checks and other social services related to the Covid epidemic.
3. What individuals (and/or organizations) will you assist? : The WIN Project is registered with the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority and we will be using their network of providers to perform outreach to the homeless and at-risk of homelessness population.
4. What other disaster recovery funds have you received? What amount?: We have received $5,000 from SBA EIDL Advance funds and been approved for $12,200 SBA PPP but we have not received these funds as of this date.
5. What other disaster recovery funds have you applied for?: We have applied for further SBA EIDL funds.