Legal-name: Twice New Foundation
Address: 100 W 5th Street, Unit 3A
City: Long Beach
Officer: Crystal Ortiz Executive Director
ContactName: Crystal Ortiz
Title: Executive Director
GrantPurpose: Delivery of food to homeless shelters and Food insecure families in Long Beach
Periodoftime: 1 month
Audienceserved: homeless, food insecure (also supports local small businesses whose food / goods we’re purchasing to distribute)
Demoofaudience: all demographics experience food insecurity, we’ll focus on the low income and underserved residents
Numberofserved: 122,920 Food Insecure households in Long Beach and 2,000 homeless
District: Districts 1,2,6,7 will be the primary focus, however any Long Beach resident is eligible to receive food donations.
1. What disaster recovery service have already been provided? : We’ve been doing food recovery and donating to Long Beach shelters and residents since 2017.
Specific COVID related food deliveries began March 24th. We’ve been using non-profit funds to purchase food from local restaurants & businesses to address immediate and urgent food needs in our community. We’ve also begun picking up leftover food from local restaurants and distributing this food as well.
2. What additional services, above your standard operations, will be conducted with this grant funding?: Purchasing a Cargo Van will increase the capacity of food and goods that we’re able to transport to the organizations and families that need them. Until this point we’ve been using a personal vehicle for all deliveries, which constricts usage and capacity.
3. What individuals (and/or organizations) will you assist? : Our goal is to not only feed food insecure residents of long beach but also to funnel food into local organizations like the Long Beach Rescue mission with the infrastructure to distribute food at a larger scale. With a van we’ll be able to expand the local shelters that we work with.
4. What other disaster recovery funds have you received? What amount?: To date we haven’t received any other recovery funds.
5. What other disaster recovery funds have you applied for?: We applied for the Small Business Loan, but haven’t heard anything back. In the meantime we’ve been doing our best to use our Prius for deliveries, but it’s highly inefficient.