Legal-name: Boys & Girls Clubs of Long BEach
Address: 3635 Long Beach Blvd
City: Long Beach
Organizational-status: 501(c)(3) nonprofit
Officer: Don Rodriguez, Chief Executive Officer
Tel-952: (562) 595-5945
SecondaryPhone: (562) 305-5133
GrantPurpose: Funding to provide critical childcare and programming to the community’s hospital staff, emergency personnel, and first responders during the COVID-19 crisis.
Periodoftime: March 13 – May 3
Audienceserved: Children of the critical community workers
Demoofaudience: Ages 6-18; unspecified race/ethnicity
Numberofserved: 20-100 children daily
District: No critical community families are turned away no matter which district they reside.
1. What disaster recovery service have already been provided? : When LBUSD closed, though an appropriate measure to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, many families were left in a very difficult situation. With 90% of our Club members living at or below the poverty line, we knew we needed to open our Clubs full day, so their guardians could continue to work. We provided school work assistance, hot meals, and safe and healthy fun. We also opened our doors, free of charge, to the community’s emergency personnel on the front line of this crisis.
2. What disaster recovery service will be provided by this grant?: Following the guidelines from the City and partnering with MemorialCare, we are currently providing childcare to our local hospital staff and emergency personnel. Funding support through the Long Beach Community Foundation will allow us to keep our doors open, our Club staffed, and our meal service going for those in our community who need us most. We have extended our hours from 6 am to 6:30 pm to try and assist as many families as possible.
3. What organization and or individuals will you assist?: We are providing childcare (including our extensive programming and school work assistance) to at least 100 children of MemorialCare hospital staff and community personnel at no charge to the families.
4. What other disaster recovery funds have you received? What amount?: None.
5. What other disaster recovery funds have you applied for?: None.