Open a Donor Advised Fund
The first step in opening a donor advised fund is submitting a completed donor advised fund agreement. Scroll down to learn more about donor advised funds or call us at (562) 435-9033 and let’s discuss opening a fund.
Learn More About Donor Advised Funds
Donor Advised Funds | Secure Giving
"For me, it's reassuring to know donations are going to organizations that will spend it properly and for the purposes that you intended."
~ Bob Foster, Former Mayor of Long Beach
A donor advised fund (DAF) is a type of charitable giving fund that is established by a donor with an eligible charitable sponsoring organization (i.e. Long Beach Community Foundation) to support a cause (or causes) that the donor cares about.
- GIVE: Donors establish a fund by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible contribution.
- GROW: The fund is invested according to each donor’s recommended risk tolerance.
- GRANT: The donor recommends grants to qualified charitable organizations throughout the United States.
DAFS are a simple alternative to a private foundation and designed for donors to be actively involved in directing how the funds are used. Through their own research or with guidance from our knowledgeable staff, donors may request grants be made to specific charitable organizations as needs arise.
DAF’s are established by charitable donors who wish to claim an immediate, full tax deduction for their contribution and parcel out grants over time.
- Highly personalized and flexible service tailored to your charitable and financial interests.
- Knowledgeable staff with in-depth grantmaking and giving expertise.
- An easy and secure online portal so you can view your fund balance 24/7.
- Grants administration and processing by LBCF allows for easy and hassle-free grant-making.
- The tax benefit is realized by the donor immediately after a contribution is made.
- An array of investment options that are carefully selected and managed a part of a $3 billion portfolio, bringing you economies of scale investment results.
- Protective oversight of your fund provided by LBCF on a local and national level.
- An option to have your financial advisor manage the fund assets.
- Invitations to exclusive Community Foundation events with other donors and local nonprofit grantees.
- Quarterly statements show all investment, donation, and grant activity.
- Comparable rates and fees to other community foundations.
- Double your impact: the fees charged support philanthropic grants and programs in the Long Beach community.
- Available option to raise funds through the LBCF website.
We make your giving easy!
- No legal liability. The Community Foundation remains in full compliance with state and federal regulations as they relate to grants and contributions.
- Name your fund and issue grants in your name or anonymously.
- A simple alternative to a Private Foundation with the same benefits and without the hassle and costly legal fees.
- Be actively involved in directing how the funds are used.
- Request grants are made to a specific organization as charitable needs arise or
select an advisory committee (such as a family or friends) to choose grant recipients.
- LBCF makes a conscious effort to work with Long Beach-based organizations.
Each fund allows us to continue supporting nonprofits and philanthropy in our community.
- DAFs are flexible, allowing a quick response to local needs. DAF funds have been used to support everything from emergency response efforts to community economic development.
- DAFs help increase the impact of charitable giving and build access to long-term philanthropic resources in our communities.
- DAFs appeal to donors of diverse ages and income levels and often serve as an entry point into charitable giving and long-term community involvement.
View our donor advised webinar series to learn more:
- 8/20/2020 – An Introduction to Donor Advised Funds
- 9/17/2020 – Donating Appreciated Assets into a Donor Advised Fund
- 10/15/2020 – Donor Advised Funds vs. Family Foundations
Complete Fund Agreement
Submit a completed fund agreement or request a fund agreement for electronic signature at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in a donor advised fund held at the Long Beach Community Foundation. If you are ready to open a fund or need more information, fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you.